View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #21
38Chevy454

A used truck conversion can certainly be found within your budget. You will likely have to travel unless you get lucky on a local dealer/seller. Private party is not bad, just depends what you find that meets your needs.

I would not be concerned about a slightly older one. In fact the older ones have less of the new emissions junk that seems to cause a lot of troubles. That means basically pre-2007 to avoid the extra emissions stuff. Twin screw rear is really not needed unless you plan for a big trailer. Most T/C have plenty of load capacity with single rear. Just like with the toy hauler 5th wheels trailers, many of the T/C have the garage which can have the beds that fold down. A garage unit may not have the big master bedroom however.

I went from a super-C to my T/C and am very happy with the improvement. Super-C are generally medium duty class 6 chassis, and just do not have the real truck drivetrain and heavier class 8 parts. For example, even the diesel super-C's tend to have 6-7 liter engines, and they may have an exhaust brake vs a real engine brake like the bigger 12-15 liter engines have. Believe it or not, my T/C gets the same mpg as the super-C, and I tend to drive it a bit faster to boot because it is so easy. Not a big difference, but 70-72 mph in my Showhauler is nicer than 65 in my old super-C.