View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #20
38Chevy454

I agree you can buy a finished TC for less than you will have in a custom build, plus be ready to go now, instead of 2+ years. Most T/C will have less miles than any previous over the road tractor, they just do not get the constant use that OTR tractor does.

Always can use more power, so 400 hp minimum. Also bigger engine is better, as the bigger engine gives the torque which is what really counts. A 400 hp 12 liter is less torque than a 400 hp 15 liter as a rough example. Seems a lot of Volvo have the 13 liter Mercedes engine, at least in TC I have searched.

Autoshift is actually quite nice, I have the 10 speed ultrashift. No clutch pedal inside, the computer does all the clutch work. My only complaint is when coasting down, then getting on throttle it sometimes picks a gear too low and should have been one higher just for smoother transition. But absolutely easy to drive and no complaints from me.

Twin screw is nice, although I would bet 90% of TC could get by with single rear if only weight was the concern. But two axles does give the extra traction if required, and an extra set of brakes. Also tire loading is very low with 8 tires vs 4. Plus on a 40+ total length, twin rear just looks more proportional.

Another consideration for an already made TC is that it would have no issues about registration as motorhome, and avoid any DMV type hassles with switching from class 8 commercial to RV. Same with insurance, it is already RV done by a conversion company so no hassles there.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote