View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
hot rod

If you have a 48' trailer I am assuming you are a racer of some sort. The DOT considers you commercial regardless of the rv plate you bought at your local dmv. Of course most of the racers are skating on that and driving with blinders on and fingers crossed. "Hi officer! Scalehouse? I think I've heard of those. You mean I'm supposed to stop there in my RV? Really? Huh." Pennsylvania DOT has set up at the turnpike exits in the past for Maple Grove (drag races) and Carlisle (car show/swap) and sat there and wrote tickets until they got tired for the day and went home. But most guys get away with it. The "good" news is there is no length restriction on a commercial truck, that one applies to rv's only. Also if you are hauling fuel for the race car make sure it is under the placarding quantity, and properly secured in dot approved containers (ie not the pretty colored swap meet "fuel" jugs). They have a real hard on for hazmat and there are nightmare stories out there from racers on that front. There are some good reads on over length rig stories on the irv2.com forum. Welcome!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote