View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Squirrley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
A simple solution for the car is just have your wife drive it following behind.
Only problem with that is that my wife doesn't drive and refuses to learn. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Overall, you are talking a huge cost increase either way you go vs your current class C.
With our current Class A, it's not *just* a matter of living quarters. My current Class A has some custom modifications that I've made, including taking out the dinette and wardrobe to make room for a loft bed for the son with storage underneath for toys, changing 2 twin beds in the back to a queen with a built-in co-sleeper bassinet, taking out the couch to make room for a crib mattress (montessori floor bed-style), taking out several overhead cabinets (we don't need the storage space; too small for sound equipment, too high up for kid's toys, and they were showing significant water damage), and taking out the bathroom sink and the other wardrobe to make a single larger hanging rod closet. But what we don't have is the ability to store enough ministry-related items. I'd prefer if we could find a way to bring stage, sound, and seating equipment with us so we could do "church in the park" type events.

We're going to be starting "congregations", not typical "churches". Our focus will be on house-to-house fellowship, and rarely having a set "church building". Because our events are open to the pubic and free, many local libraries will allow us to use their large meeting rooms for free if we want to have seminars, conferences, or larger worship services. Even if we had to rent space or reserve space in a park, the savings on carrying our sound equipment with us would be astronomical. This site suggests that by the time we rent the equipment about 50-100 times, we'd already have paid enough to buy an HDT, a decent used toy hauler, *and* all the equipment.

But it seems that this is all moot. I believe this wouldn't be considered personal use by DOT officials. My research suggests that the IRS would consider donations that come in "pay received as a member of the clergy", which means that if we *do* carry the instruments of our "trade" in a truck and trailer with a combined weight of 26,001+ lbs, we must have a CDL. This means that a large 20,000lb toy hauler being towed by any truck big enough to tow it bumps us into Class A CDL territory, and then the savings go out the window with commercial insurance (since I don't even have a CDL now, so I'd be a rookie and thus subject to higher rates). *sigh*
Squirrley5 is offline   Reply With Quote