View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
hot rod

Unfortunately not every state is as easy as that. Here in Ohio you can fill out the form with the same 4 of 6 things, but that is to change the title to an rv, otherwise you have to purchase a commercial plate, or a "heavy duty non-commercial" plate both of which are more expensive and make you a target for dot officers. The rv title takes you completely and unquestionably out of the jurisdiction of the dot, unless of course you really are using the truck commercially and just trying to skate. On my old race car trailer with full living quarters, I would have had to run a commercial plate due to the weight of the trailer so I had to change the title to a "house vehicle" (Ohio's term for a camping trailer) to get a non-commercial house vehicle plate. Many states will not issue an rv plate for a (former) commercial truck at all, regardless of equipment, unless you have it inspected and re-titled as an rv. Our local title office at the courthouse actually has a picture of a legitimate factory built Renegade toterhome taped to their wall with "THIS IS NOT AN RV!" written on it.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote