View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomland4x4 View Post
I think my batteries are totally seperate. There is a battery kill switch under the driver seat for the truck and another near the batteries for the coach. If I shut off the truck switch then nothing works in the cab of the truck, generator running or not. So I think it is totally isolated. I have a set of jumper cables that I can use to start the generator if I run the coach batteries too low if needed. I just want to be able to run a small inverter for the tv, satellite, for the kids while driving. It's only a small 800watt cobra from a truck stop so it doesn't use much, I'd just like to have the truck charge the coach batteries while driving. In the summer it won't matter much because the generator will run the ac and everything else. I just like to not have to run the generator unless necessary.
EXACTLY how ours operates too - the Battery isolation relay (mounted near the house batteries) allows the charging of the house batteries by the engine alternator.

the on/off switches are close to the batteries (in the circuit design) so when you switch off the batteries it will kill everything in that circuit.

the generator's alternator ONLY changed the house batteries when the generator is running (regardless of the position of the engine battery switch) - i believe you would need another battery isolation relay for the generator to charge the coach/engine batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
That's the switch United Specialties used on mine. It's down there on the lower left of the dash. I also have that extra backup light switch. The "option" switch is right next to that. I think if you are plugged in to shore power and stick a volt meter on the chassis batteries and see if that voltage matches the house battery voltage. Then switch that "option" switch and see if the voltage now matches the house battery voltage. That's how mine works anyhow.
ill be checking that out, thanks !

fwiw i do have a "generator emergency start" switch thats mounted on the wall near my generator start/hour meter - I've never used or tested it but its function is to combine the coach engine batteries w/ the house batteries to start the generator (in the event that the gen batteries are dead).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote