View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
38Chevy454

Default My new to me 2005 Kenworth Showhauler

I joined a while back when decided that I wanted to get a bigger and more powerful motorhome, so I finally have the new to me MH to show you guys. My prior Super C Gulfstream Supernova was traded off to become this full Class 8 Truck conversion MH. It is a 2005 Kenworth T800 chassis that was converted by Showhauler when the truck was new. Only 43K miles when I picked it up in Indiana. It aing the ctually drives real easy and is just need to be aware of the length. I think it is one of the very few brand new Kenworth conversions done by any of the conversion companies. As you all are aware, Freightliner is most popular and then Peterbuilt second. Some of the new Showhauler conversions are using the IH Lonestar chassis, I love that front end but my wallet loves the used Kenworth more

Engine is a Cummins ISX, tuned to 450 hp and 1650 ft-lbs of torque (at 1200 rpm!!). The trans is a Eaton Fuller automatic 10 speed, no clutch pedal full autoshift. Being a real big truck engine, it turns 1500 rpm at 70 mph. Not exactly a hot rod driving, it takes fairly long to accelerate to freeway speed, need all of the long on-ramps and even then still accelerating to final speed once on the freeway. Driving home I was doing about 71-72 mph average and got about 6.5-7.0 mpg, hard to tell with only filling the tanks once. BTW, tanks are 80 gal each side (at least). It has air brakes of course, and the twin rear diffs which are really overkill for this. The rear diffs have a switch and it runs on one normally unless you flip a switch to engage the second one.

The motorhome part is 35 ft box from behind the cab, and has two slide-outs both on driver's side. One long one for the front portion and then a smaller one for the rear bedroom. The real reason for getting the bigger MH is to do longer trips once retired. I will almost always be pulling a trailer with one of my old cars, or an old car flat-towed behind it. I doubt it will even be any effect for the trailer and/or car behind it. Which will be a nice change from the (in my perspective) underpowered Supernova. The engine brake in the ISX works very well, there was none in the Supernova.

So here are couple pics:

The layout diagram:

Only bad thing driving it home was a right front tire blowout about 1 hour east of Amarillo. Cruising along at 72 mph and already had about 700 miles under me that day, with Amarillo being the planned stop for the night, the tire blew out big time, completely shredded. Was able to safely slow down and guide to side of the highway and was actually able to get onto a west bound on-ramp shoulder, so off the main highway for better safety. Being that it was around 7:30 in evening, my only option was roadside tire service call and $976 and four hours later I was back on the road. Fortunately it did not do much damage to any of the front end fiberglass, just took out some headlight wiring and beat up the underside flexible rubber seals between the fiberglass and engine compartment. Still need to fix those. Good thing is no brake line damage or major wheel damage. No idea what caused the tire to fail, had checked pressure that morning and was driving fine up to that point and it was not excessively hot temps out. Guess I am just glad that it did not end up worse. Steer axle blow-outs can have a lot worse endings than I did.

So I am real happy with the new MH, anxious to take a short trip with my wife and really try it out. Has a 12kW Caterpillar diesel generator, enough to run my whole house! Also has a nice big 12 cu ft frig, plenty of space for cold beverages and maybe some food too!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote