View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Dragonslayer140

Below is what I have found out for converting a vehicle to an RV in Washington. All the info is contained in the Washington Administrative Code (WAC).

First thing is the definition of vehicle types. WAC 308-96A-099 Use Class Descriptions:

MH - MOTOR HOME, Motorized vehicle designed for human habitation and defined in RCW 46.04.305

CMP - CAMPER, Is a slide-in pickup camper (not a canopy) as defined in RCW 46.04.085. Even if the owner has chosen to permanently attach the camper to the pickup, the units need to be titled and licensed separately.

TRK - TRUCK, Motor vehicle is a personal use truck, with a declared gross weight of twelve thousand pounds or less. Trucks used for business or commercial purposes do not qualify for the TRK use class.

The Licensing agencies I have talked to go by the GVW on the title, so they will not allow a business class or class 8 tractor to have pickup truck plates and a non commercial status since it is over 12k lbs. This is why most of the toters in Washington seem to go with converting to a motorhome (i.e. smaller volvo's with sleepers)

9) May I license my truck, truck tractor or tractor as a motor home?
Yes, you may license your truck, truck tractor or tractor as a motor home if:
(a) The vehicle has been permanently altered to meet the definition of a motor home in RCW 46.04.305; and
(b) You certify the vehicle qualifies as M/H and will be used exclusively as a motor home for personal use and not for commercial use.

RCW 46.04.305 Motor homes. "Motor homes" means motor vehicles originally designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, which include lodging and cooking or sewage disposal, and is enclosed within a solid body shell with the vehicle, but excludes a camper or like unit constructed separately and affixed to a motor vehicle. Typically folk utilize a truck with a sleeper and add a built in Microwave, generator or APU, and a Rv Toilet w/ tank. (some have had success with a port-a-pottie in a closet). As far as proof, there is an affidavit to sign, and some agencies want to see either photos or the actual vehicle.

I would think that if a box was placed on a flatbed and securely bolted or welded down, without some type of removable camper tie down there might be some type of argument that it is permanent. even the body on my class C could be removed with enough effort.

In my case, I am planning (for when the magic combination of time & money occur at the same time..lol) a complete conversion of a class 8 Peterbilt, into a 40'+ coach so i do not expect much argument when i finally get it built and go in for licensing. I will also more than likely submit plans to the division of factory assembled structures section of L&I so I can have it inspected and tagged as a factory built RV which will help with insurance and resale down the road.

I have spent many years as a heavy haul trucker in Washington, and dealing with the WSP and the commercial vehicle enforcement guys, I know they take there job seriously and will stop any "unusual" vehicle and make sure it is licensed correctly for the purpose it is being used for. Now I work as an engineer and deal with the states building regulations for mobile and modular buildings.

Good luck with your conversion and keep us updated, always good to see others on this forum from the left coast. (If you get a chance check out Kenn's build on his thread "frame welding" he has been doing an outstanding job on his build.)

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote