View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Iron Pony

The truck I have in it's current config. would be very hard to sell because it has 750,000.00 miles on it. Even though the engine only has 48,000 and the trans has 5,000 it has a new radiator the front suspension and rear suspension has been rebuilt and the rear end has been rebuilt. I still couldn't get much out of it as a mechanics truck. But the bed the autocrane and are worth quite a bit. I thought it would be a great choice for a truck coach. And I understand about the need to get on the road with it. But I do enjoy building things as I have done it my whole life. But now that I'm retired I ask myself if I really want to spend all the time on it building. And I am well aware that the costs of building have a way of doubling or tripling. But would it really be as much as buying a finished body from someone like Spacecraft. Bob like you said in your post if you source materials right then maybe. But I do like the idea of taking the truck to Spacecraft and dropping it off and picking up a finished truck ready to go. This will take some thinking. Building it myself has one advantage that I don't hear of much. I would know the coach from one end to the other. I already know the truck very well. I would be using it to pull a enclosed car hauler and a BBQ contest rig. So it would get some miles on it. I guess I'm just looking for a opinion from some who have done it as to what it would really cost to do it by myself. So thanks again and keep the opinions coming. Bill
Iron Pony is offline   Reply With Quote