Thread: Hi all
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Bob86ZZ4

Welcome Sculptor! I'm a die hard Truck Conversion lover. But an HDT pulling a trailer would be my second choice, maybe. Either way it's the truck that makes it great. I think you're on the right track about going to an HDT. These things are made right for getting the job done. Unlike a half ton p/u. I have found that most repair/maintenance work is actually less expensive than similar work on a Euro car. You'd be surprised but these things are made for easy repair since time is money and the longer it is in the shop the less money the owner is making. Prices for HDT's are all over the map. My son was a truck driver. He bought an '03 FLD120 with condo sleeper, N14 engine, straight 10 trans, 1.1million miles, 100k miles on rebuild, for $18k. He's been driving it for work for the last two years. Very few repairs. And he's pulling 50-60k lbs. inter-modal container trailers all day every day. So, it can be done. Finding an inexpensive HDT and pulling your light (relatively) camper trailer around. Have you heard about the HDT Rally ? This is a fantastic resource for somebody in your shoes. I've gone to 5 of the last 6 rally's. I mostly go to keep in touch with the wonderful people I've gotten to know in that group. I'm the oddball with a T/C. There is also the HDT forum over on Escapees: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
Stick around here too though. This is a nice small group of people into heavy duty camping.