View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #31
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Pretty sure both of those saves was worth it to me to keep the radio on and keep the squelch up so I only hear rather close stuff. If somebody starts chatting about meaningless junk (most of the time) I just switch the pa/cb switch down for a bit. That cuts it off very easily and I don't have to adjust the volume or anything. Then when I don't see the meter bouncing around I switch it back to CB.
Bob -

if you have a (non blackberry) smart phone, i HIGHLY recommend WAZE it can provide LIVE/Active Routing around problems.

Waze is a CROWD SOURCED application that leverages data (input) and automatically collected from other users....

Waze uses your GPS data to sense that you've slowed down (and changes the color of the road/map that you're own) and alert other users....it will even re-route based on this information *IF* theres an alternative route that can save you time (even as little as 2 minutes)...fwiw you don't have to take the route, you can decline the re-route.

further - if you see a car or debris on the road or shoulder you tap the screen a couple of times to place a marker & warn other Waze users (ahead or behind you)....you score points for every entry....AND....
users that happen upon your notification/location are giving the chance to VERIFY the problem is still present or "no longer there" w/ a single tap of the screen.

It works the same way for alerting of speed/radar traps....the users "work together" in a sense to alert each other / verify the reports (so minimal chance of false reports).

personally i STILL use a (garmin) GPS (which has FM Traffic integration) but it doesnt work nearly as well as my smartphone & WAZE....in fact my Garmin GPS really is there for my passengers viewing pleasure (and to provide stats to my passengers about our time & distance til arrival).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote