View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #29
Bob86ZZ4

Gotta disagree on the CB thing. I've been hugely saved a couple times in recent memory with mine. One was when I was w/b on I94 in Minnesota. Heard the truckers start talking about a big block ahead. One guy was saying to get off and he gave great directions for what roads to take to go a ways west and then get back to the interstate after the problem. I was almost to that exit so I took it and it was smooth sailing. We could even see the big accident with the huge pileup of cars behind it when we got back on the interstate just after it. I'm quite sure we dodged a huge problem that time. And, the traffic wasn't backed up to us yet when I got off so I would have driven right by my last chance to escape it had I not heard about that on the CB.

Next time was almost the identical situation. We were w/b in Michigan on I94 (are we seeing a pattern here?). I had seen a squad sail on by with the lights on but that's not unusual. Trucker came on the radio saying to anybody w/b there is a big pileup ahead. He said what exit to get off and what road to take down to I90 to continue w/b. I could not see any traffic problems ahead when I got to that exit (about a mile after the trucker had told me about it) but I took the exit anyway and it was only like 4 miles down to I90. I could hear a bunch of chatter about the pileup.

Pretty sure both of those saves was worth it to me to keep the radio on and keep the squelch up so I only hear rather close stuff. If somebody starts chatting about meaningless junk (most of the time) I just switch the pa/cb switch down for a bit. That cuts it off very easily and I don't have to adjust the volume or anything. Then when I don't see the meter bouncing around I switch it back to CB.