View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #28
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
Here I go thinking again....Somebody pass the aspirin, please? lol.. I was wondering, other than a few roads I have been on (Needles Hwy, Black Hills for one), is there a real need for hauling a car with you? If I put my car on the back my truck it getting quite long when what I want is something comfortable and fun to pull my trailer with. What about the times when you really need or desire a car for a couple of days you rent a car? For the overall cost that may be my solution.... HHHMMMmmmmm.
when we 1st bought the coach - i didnt thing we'd really need a toad....and quite honestly we didnt factor it in (not that it broke the back or something, it was just unexpected cost).

i figured if anything i'd put my wifes miata or another car on our car trailer and go....but after our 1st couple of times out we realized once the jacks go down & the slides go out, we were there to stay.

we rented a car a couple of times (but that was a PIA getting to the rental location and dropping it off).

sometimes we haul the toad (jeep wrangler) even when we don't expect to use it....consider it insurance ('case something happens to the coach)....i can use the toad to run and get parts (if were broke down) or i could put the wife in the toad and let her continue on (to her parents or a hotel) while i wait for roadside assistance etc.

there are plenty of times that we leave the toad at home - camping locally or when we WANT to be trapped (no need to do anything other than relax).

while i like the MTD / sport chassis - they seem pricey & a weak value (when compared to a larger, more capable class 8)....you can buy a clean used 40+ foot (truck conversion) coach for less than what a tricked out MTD would cost.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote