View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #17
THUNDERUSONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J's Rig View Post
MnTom- the original question was about the length of the deck, not the width. A Smart car 2015 and earlier is 106.1" long, and 61.38" wide. The 2016 models are 4.?? wider so to be safe you need 65-66" for the smart car alone. Then you need the turning radius for the front cap of your 5'er. If your rig is 101" wide, like mine, then you need a minimin of 50 1/2" to clear the car. But if you take into consideration any turns that have a dip or hill, you need more space between the side of the car and the front of your trailer. Then since you will most likely not be able to load the car in the exact spot time after time, you need a few more inches for room.
So the numbers are-
62- car+
50 1/2 trailer turn radius+
6 space between trailer and car +
4 extra space for error in loading car+
5 extra for the new Smart car width =
127" mininum from the back of the cab fairings or your drom box to the center of your pin.
I said nothing about a smart car being that wide...
Thanks for the clarification J. Now I understand what you guys are talking about. I actually thought about this tread on the way home in mine yesterday evening. I met a really nice Sportchassis towing a fiver and I started thinking about this. What the hell is wrong with me?