View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
bushpilot

Default Awning LED Strip (DIY)

We've (rarely) been using some lights hung from our awning....too much of a pain to put the hooks up and hang the lights - and i hated the cord dangling every time i put them up....god forbid a storm come cause id have to 1st pull the lights down before i could hit the button to roll up the power awning.

No way i was gonna pay $169 for the awning LED's from Camping World or PPL .....now on sale for $110 / $93

I picked up the same 16 ft, string of 7 color LED's (w/ AC adapter & remote) for $24 off of Amazon (at that price i figured if i didn't like them i was ok w/ it) - i also picked up some LED wire extension for $8 at Amazon so i could hide the wiring.

I was able hide the wiring inside my power awning supports & use the same hole in the wall that HaulMark placed for the awning power, for now I'm running the LED string (self adhesive backed) off of AC current, but i plan to do away w/ the AC power supply & run it off of 12vdc (which the String accepts natively).

Running the lights off of 12 vdc means i can use them w/out the generator running (if I'm dry camping).

in this picture you can BARELY see the (taped down) LED extension wire hidden in the awning support (i used white duct tape - we'll see how long it lasts).

the (hole) thru the wall access is at the bottom (inside) of the awning support, i just pulled the caulk outta the hole and fished a wire thru, puling the LED extension wire (had to cut the end off) thru the hole and resealed the hole....once the extension wire was inside a quick solder job put the 4 wires back together.

Ive already had TWO trips (both trips had RAIN & one trip was driving in a hell of a down pour) - so far everything is staying in place nicely & showing no signs of poor adhesion.

heres a couple of pictures of the completed job in our storage bay -

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote