View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but I just bought a fifth wheel toy hauler that has an onboard generator. My first onboard. It does not seem to have any sort of transfer switch, any advice on how to use that so I don't damage anything? Do I just need to make sure the unit is unplugged from shore power before starting the generator? Or does that matter?
there should be SOME protection circuit that prevents your on-board generator from BACK FEEDING to the utility supply...or energizing the blade ends of the plug...you do NOT want that generator feeding power to your camper & either back feeding the shore power (i.e. pedestal) or your shore power cord (hot plug/blades could be very dangerous)

part of the purpose of the transfer switch is to automatically switch to the shore power (when its available) or to the generator when shore power goes away (for what ever reason that might be).

I have seen folks that PLUGGED in the campers shore power cord to the gen/set - such that only then is the camper powered.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote