View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
mustang_gt_350

Default Newb pointers on selecting truck

Alright guys. I'm completely new to motor home building world, and to big trucks for that matter. I'm very mechanically inclined, I just lack Rig experience.

First off here is what I'm looking to do and maybe you can point me in the correct direction on truck/trailer/ building needs.

I'm into local truck pulling, and need something that can transport 2 pullers once i get my puller built (currently only pulling the girlfriends puller with my 3/4 truck) Once Mine is finished i will either have to make 2 trips, or build something that i can keep from paying a TON of $ for PA registration. So the total weight of each truck will never exceed 8,000lbs Hers is 6200, and mine would be either 8000, or 6200. Plus a few tools and the normal carry with you stuff. I don't need to take my entire tool box with me since this isn't a high end curcuit and i'm usually no more than 50 miles from home (so far thats the largest distance)

I have located a 1975 ford 8000 dump. If no one is familliar its a tandem axle dump bed truck. It has a 3208 cat (v636 i beleive) with a fuller roadranger 18sp trans. I can possibly pick this up for around 2-3k from the talking i have done to the seller, but I'm unsure on if this would work well for what i'm planning on doing? Thoughts, pics, suggestions and so on are very appreciated. I know the 3208 isn't a widely sought engine but i'm not expecting to run long highway distances, or set and land speed records. I'm just looking for somthing that would work, and that i can spend the night in and hit another pull the next day in the same area. Also what kind of MPG should i expect with that engine/trans combo? Also I'm not sure how long the bed is. I was thinking maybe i could extend the cab with the small camper and still have room for a flatbed for one truck to ride on?

About the only think i know is the overall length cannot exceed 60ft per Pa's regulations. Is there a SQ ft requirement to be retitle as a RV? And is there a link to the process required to retitle it? Do you just submit pics like that is needed to submit for classic or antique car tags?

Thanks for your time. And sorry for all of the questions. I'm just trying to figure out a econimical way to have my toys hauled by one truck and maybe do some camping without the trucks now and then or with them at the track.
mustang_gt_350 is offline   Reply With Quote