Thread: Just Joined Up:
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmc101 View Post
Rob,
Would love to have you come by and visit when your in the area.
That's a slick old Mack you have there. That would be a nice show truck with a little paint and chrome. With that wheelbase it would make a great motorhome chassis as well.
Drove an old B61 for Farmers COOP for a couple of years while in high school. 273? with a 5&2 airshift. Had to push the clutch all the way to the floor to make the 2 speed shift. Topped out at 57 mph.
If your going to be in the area let me know.
Michael
That B-61 had a "Unishift transmission. Yes, you had to floorboard the clutch pedal to switch the range in the rear box. Trouble with those as they aged is they would get hung up between the low, and high side, then explode the rear case when power was applied. A nice and easy trans to drive when all was working right however. I have one but it's been converted to a manual "duplex" trans with two sticks. This is probably due to the original hanging up long before I acquired the truck. It is in a 1962 B-67ST. It is possible you had a 237 "Maxidyne" series engine in the chassis but it would not have been original as that series of engine came out in 1965 for the then new "R" series trucks. There were a few B models built as test beds for the 237 engine, (grandpa had two) but Mack only let them out for testing/evaluation as they had five speed transmissions which at the time was an unproven concept.

I do have aluminum wheels and new drive tires for the water truck but not installed. I need to get the rims polished but they're not all scratched up. I'm not settled on a finish color yet either but am partial to both blue hues and burgundy with silver accents. Will probably lose the painted grille plate as I have a nicely polished one to replace it. The truck really is as clean in person as the photos. The tank is old, beat up, and much older than the 1973 chassis.

Here is one I work with when bored. It has a 1693TA Caterpillar and is kinda rare. The truck itself is a 1978 Western RL-755LST. Not many of these around as few were actually built. It runs well but will hardly pull itself the clutch is so worn out....

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4000rsz.jpg  
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote