Thread: Just Joined Up:
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys. I can help you when you get ready to stretch that truck without problem. If I'm in OKC, I'll get on out your way if you'll have me. I do a lot of training there for equipment. I have friends all over the area from Norman in the south, Enid in the north, Hinton/El Reno/Yukon on the west, and good ole Choctaw to the east so plenty to see and do when traveling. I'm always messing with old trucks and that KW is right up my alley so to speak. To me aluminum is not any harder to work with than steel but there are some steps which must be adhered to for a lasting repair/modification. Most anybody can weld an aluminum frame together with a 200 ampere Mig machine and certainly if they have the gumption to build their own coach, they can do the frame with a little guidance. The trick is CLEAN, CLEAN, and then more CLEAN! This means both mechanically, and chemically using a silicone carbide grinding disc, clean stainless brush on a rt. angle grinder, and aluminum prep chemicals. Proper post heat treating is really the secret right after welding and we can discuss that later.

I have read some of the posts and there is a large talent base in existence; I hope to add to it. Maybe learn something along the way myself.

Those V8 Mack sounds being all their own? Must be why I have five of them. Four are in R700 series trucks, and one is a ready spare. I'm always on the hunt for spares and engines as everything on the old two valve engines is long obsolete, and the used parts supplies have all but dried up. I'm not biased or anything like that but is there anything else????? My old work truck is a 1980 Mack R model with a 300+ and 13 speed. It's nothing special but runs well. I also have a few B-61 series Mack trucks but really don't do anything with them except blow my allowance money sometimes skipping dinner to acquire a part. I know that sounds strange but my wife doesn't let me spend money like I could on trucks. She says something about breaking the bank and alimony.....

Oh yeah, I have a nice set of Neway air ride tandems in Mack 3.87 ratio for replacements to the original "Camelback" suspension. I've been yakking with a company in Michigan that says they can build a set of parabolic front springs w/roller bushings and may go that route too to soften the ride. The steer axle is only 12K so may need to come up with something a bit heavier to fit the bill, but not that far into it as of yet.

Thanks again for the welcome(s) and if I can help I'll give a shot.

Rob
Trying to figure this picture thing out:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0737.jpg   IMG_0756.jpg  
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote