Thread: Just Joined Up:
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Rob

Default Just Joined Up:

Howdy. My name is Rob Swallows located in central Illinois. I've seen a few names on this site whom may remember me from my former presence and participation on the antique and older large truck sites. That participation ran it's course and I withdrew from all but a very limited online personality.

I have an older four axle Mack semi tractor and have been wrestling with what to do with it for just over three years since acquisition. I have yet to drive it off my property although it runs very near perfect. The thought of converting it to a motorhome seems appealing as I from time to time think about purchasing one of these. Having right at 40 years in the auto body and heavy truck collision repair industry, along with nearing retirement age gives me the inkling I may be able to do this myself although I've never been involved with camping other than using a tent. It is however an uphill battle as my wife swears she'll "never sleep in the back of a truck." My own thoughts on this are she doesn't know what she's missing.....

About the truck: It is a "Western" 1973 Mack R model. Actually it is an RL797LST meaning it is a long hood, aluminum frame, lightweight components, with a 375hp Mack V8 engine, and 10 speed overdrive Mack transmission. It also has Mack rear axles and suspension so is a "purebred". This truck is all original in construction with the exception of paint. There is no rust in the truck at all as it resided it's entire life in the desert of Nevada. This truck has a 27' clear platform, (frame behind cab) and currently is a water spray truck with a 3800 gallon tank and six spray guns/nozzles. My avatar is of the truck.

I have no problem stretching this truck to whatever wheelbase is required of my final decision on a coach length. I have a couple of chassis with good aluminum frame sections to splice in and I've performed several frame alterations through the years in both aluminum and steel so pretty versed in the procedures. I will not cut this original cab back out to make a walk through for access, but would rather swap it out for another in the shop with a rusty rear window trough. This area was a common rust out area and wouldn't be required with the cab back opened up.

I've read a lot of posts concerning other's builds and am always amazed at the talent and dedication to make it all come together. I've never participated in this forum and won't jump into someone's thread offering all kinds of advice but if asked, will answer to the best of my ability. Given the profession I've been involved with all my adult life has allowed a glimpse of a lot. Some of this may be of use to others and if I can help, I will. Of course I'll have questions myself as this is foreign country to me.

Thanks for your time.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote