View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Highway OPie

Default More Info

Hello Sprintracer: Tnx for your note!

My wife and I looked for abt 8 years before we found the "perfect" semi to convert to our motorhome. We had plenty of time to think abt the design and options we wanted before we started to build it. As it turned out, we followed the final design very closely, only adding a hanging locker in the camper section as the only item we hadn't originally included. Overall, absolutely no regrets looking back on everything.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Think your design and needs through thoroughly before starting out.
2. Purchase the highest quality semi tactor you can afford; a bit more monwy spent here will save you money in the long run.
3. Your project will cost twice as much as you plan, and take twice as long to complete. Unless you have heavy truck knowledge and an inside shop, having work done by commercial shops is very expensive.
4. Dropping the front driver, extending the driveshaft, and adding six feet to the rear of the frame cost me abt $4000. If you can do this yourself, then thats another matter, of course.
5. Unexpected repairs to bring my tractor, and all new virgin tires, was another $4000.

I have abt $60,000 into this project, and am really happy with the way things turned out. I couldn't buy a motorhome half as cool as mine for twice that! Plus, this is my "rest of my life" project; it will never be done. It keeps me active and busy.

Best of all is driving it, and of course, camping with my wife.

Specific questions, just let me know.

Speed Gray
Grand Rapids, MI
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 018.jpg   Picture 074.jpg   Picture 618.jpg   Picture 630.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote