Thread: MDT Ambulance
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Foxhole

Default MDT Ambulance

Hello.
I have a few questions for the MDT experts.

My objective is to convert a MDT ambulance into a primary tow vehicle. The ambulance body would be gutted and redesigned for dual use. First I intend to convert it to space for the kids to ride. They need to have room to move around watch TV, Games and most importantly go to the bathroom! We seem to stop constantly for the 8yo girl to pee. We need it to tow up to 11K in a TT. The second mission would be to tow out 22 Shamrock boat to the coast. My son and I could overnight in it occasionally.

I have been researching used ambulances and most but not all are FL 60 with the 5.9L 24V , Allison 3060, IIRC 4:10 gears air brakes and ride. I did see one with the 8.3 Cummins. Generally they are 2002 and older to meet my budget. The older Cummins 24V run in the 238 Hp range. How is this setup going to do pulling 11k in the flat south. We don't have many hills in Louisiana and I don't intend to be pulling any long mountain passes. This seems to me to be a cost effective way to get/build a tow vehicle that fits our needs and will pull the wagon too.
I think a few gallons of bleach to sanitize and possibly some holy water to get the ghosts out will due. -
Thanks
Fox

One other question? I have been calling Freightliner with the VIN and having them email the original build sheet on the trucks. IS there a way to look up the truck specks online with the VIN rather than calling them every time?

This is an example of one I didn't win..

Public Surplus: Search an auction
Foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote