View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #76
hot rod

Elkhart is definitely worth the trip, but you need a minimum of a full day up there to hit a couple of outlets. Bontragers is huge and had plenty of everything, some dirt cheap, some not so much, know what you are buying. Johnsons is more trailer supplies but they do have a bunch of doors, windows etc, and that is where I get all my aluminum trim, corners, etc. Graber industries is a little farther out in michigan maybe 20 minutes out in the sticks from Bontragers and pretty disorganized but they have some bargains to be found. Take a list and a plan and have some imagination, you'll run across stuff you never knew you needed. I'd suggest a trip up really early in your build to get the basics, then again when you are deeper in and have a better idea of all the small stuff you'll need. The nice thing about going up is you can get all the real aluminum and stainless trim, corner pieces etc like they use on a factory build so you'll get a much nicer job than using whatever you can come up with locally, and you just can't ship 10'-16' lengths of aluminum. I got 12' lengths of aluminum J channel at Graber's for about $4 a length and the nice top trim at Johnsons for $12 for 16'.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote