View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Spider001

Thanks for the help. I'm on the right track. My thoughts on what should be done match your replies/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLPRACING View Post
Do the work to the box first. Vents in the roof, passage cab to the box and any changes to the walls, floors and ceiling like adding any insulation and /or paneling. Windows if you still want them. I like the idea of the bathroom in the rear on a raised platform. Roof of the box should be high enough to allow that. Tanks can be under that platform with access to them via the rear door.
One big issue is power. You are going to need some kind of power generation. Generator? Solar? Running the truck to take a shower would be a little expensive.
I'm going for solar. I was thinking about working on the power source first so I could get heat & A/C out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Did you read Randy StClair's thread about the "Stealth Camper?"
I might have. I've been looking at threads, web sites & youtube videos for months. That's how I finally figured out a converted box truck is the best way to go. I'll search for it now. Ok, got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoman View Post
sorry if i read your first post wrong. it sounded like you didn't want to own a house or rent. i thought you were thinking about living in the back of a truck full time. i don't think i would want to live in mine full time.
No, that's right! I don't want to own a house or rent & I want the freedom to move where I want when I want. I'm going to live in it full time for a while. See how it goes. I just can't deal with slumlords anymore. They need to change the name of this country to "The United States Of GREED!" I don't want to be trapped anymore. Owning a house or getting stuck in a lease means you're trapped in that town. I can't live like that anymore. Humans are all control freaks, there just ain't no way around it. All throughout history you'll find nothing but control freaks starting wars & making everybody miserable.

I'm from CT. The New England area is one of the most overly expensive areas in the country. This is the ONLY way I can ever go home. I've been going over every possible way for the past 3 or 4 years & this is the only way. My mother & father have a cemetery plot up there. My mother died a couple years ago & I can't get up there to bury her ashes. How fucked up is that? And I don't understand why it's so expensive up there. CT. has nothing to offer, nothing special about it, it's a tiny crappy hellhole state so why are they charging so much for everything? Pisses me off! Better to not think about it.

My ultimate goal is to be able to hop around from state to state. I want to stop in CT. to bury my mother & visit some relatives & then hop around between all those states up there. I want to check out PA, MI, NH, ME, VT etc. The rents are so ridiculously expensive up there that this is the only way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoman View Post
first thing you need to figure out is what kind of truck you want and what lenght it will be. do you want to buy a box, build your own or hire it done? then comes several personal choices. insulation type, flooring & wall materials, water tank sizes, windows style & sizes, a/c & furance, room sizes and 1000s of others things to figure out.
I want a 24' box truck. I'm going to do what I can myself & hire somebody to do the other stuff. I want it to be simple & open. I'm not going to make "rooms". I'm planning to make a small bathroom & leave the rest wide open like a studio apartment. Nothing fancy, I'll keep the costs down to the minimum. I'm an outdoors type so between working & going out bike riding & swimming & all that stuff I won't be in it much anyway. When I am stuck in it because of weather I'll just play my Xbox.

I would like the rear door to lower to form a ramp. That way I can drive a motorcycle in & out to get around town. I saw a few lawn mowing & landscaping companies do that for their mowers. Looks really cool!
Spider001 is offline   Reply With Quote