View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Bob86ZZ4

Yes, that's my rig (well actually it's the banks but in about 20 years it will probably be paid off). I scale at about 29k lbs. with full water and fuel. I pull a 24' enclosed car trailer with car and lots of tool and spare parts. Guessing the trailer weighs about 8k when full. It's a fully aluminum frame trailer so empty it's only 3k. I pull the trailer about half the time. I cruise at 70-72 mph most of the time. I'm seeing about 1500 rpm's at that speed. I'm very very anal about my fuel mileage record keeping. I have put 40k miles on in the 5 summers I've owned my rig. (I live in MN so it's tucked away for half the year). Lowest mpg is 8. Most often I'm in the mid 9's mpg. Often closer to 10 w/o the trailer. I usually cover about 700 miles a fuelling. So that means there are lots of stops and starts and city driving mixed in with the highway miles. Once I topped up and got directly onto the highway and drove about 200 miles and got off and topped up. Got 12.x mpg (can't remember exactly but mid 12's I think, my log book is in the rig which is 30 miles away from me right now so if I remember next time I go to it I'll refresh my memory). I have 92k miles on it now. I've been told these big engines get better mileage when they get up to 100k miles. I do think I've been getting better avg. mpg lately than when I first bought it with 50k miles on the clock. I've got a 3 pedal autoshift.