View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
RLPRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Great pictures and work. Those storage doors look nice. Do they have gas charged supports to keep them up? Or are you going to put some sort of brackets/clips to hold them open? I think gas charged would be best. But I wouldn't put those little plastic clip things that a lot of class C's use. My previous camper had them and I didn't like them. They don't hold that good and they break.

For that awning am I understanding that they are manual type with the long support arm bolting to the siding at the bottom with a pivot point there? If that's the case what about making a metal arm that bridges the wheel well opening? That could provide your base mounting location. Of course it would need to be removable to get the wheels off. Is there no other way to shift the whole thing forward or rearward to make it work? I think I'd go find a nice automatic awning instead. They don't extend nearly as far down the side of the coach. I have an automatic and my brother has a manual on his trailer. So much better to have the auto.
I don't like the plastic clips either but I have bought them. Notice they have not been installed as I hope I will find something better. No, the doors didn't come with gas supports. Anybody know how to calculate which ones to use? Length and weight? On all of the doors is a chrome finger pull. Would like to have a chrome clip that grabs those but can't find anything there either.

On the awnings, we are thinking of mounting them high above the front door(like the autos which are NOT in the budget) which puts the rear behind the tire but I do like your idea of mounting the lower extension. Have to look at that.

As far as the jacks, yes they are high. In order to get them lower, we would have made brackets instead of bolting them to the frame. It looked like too much engineering that I didn't think was necessary at the time. We will just have to use blocks. Remember most of our stops are at drag strips and they tend to be pretty flat. There we use them to support the truck not lift it so when someone is in the trailer walking, you don't feel it in the truck.

Thanks for everyone's comments, keep them coming.
RLPRACING is offline   Reply With Quote