View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #24
Bob86ZZ4

Talking about the batteries. I have three batteries that start the truck motor and generator motor. Then I have two deep cycle 12volt batteries that power everything in the house. Mine has a large round switch in the storage area where the house batteries are. I can set it so those 2 batteries power the house. Or I can turn it to use the three truck batteries to power the house. Or I can set it to use all 5 batteries at once. Now, when I'm plugged in to shore power and set that switch for both sets (all 5) my converter/charger will charge all 5 batteries. At least that's what I thought when I bought it. But I used a volt meter checking the batteries I found different voltage on the truck batteries vs. the house batteries. I contacted United Specialties (they were still in business) and learned they wired that jumper lead from the big switch through a dash switch and then to the truck batteries. So, as long as I have that dash switch turned on it'll charge those 3 truck batteries. Great. I have never shut that switch off since then.

Now. What I like to do is keep all 5 batts tied together when I'm plugged in in my storage condo. My converter/charger is a Iota with smart logic that won't overcharge and keeps everything just right. Then, when I pull out and go on the road I switch that big round switch to only the house batteries. That way I'm using those 2 batteries to make them work a bit. If I plug in somewhere I switch the breaker off that powers the Iota (it's much easier for me to switch off that breaker from inside the coach than to go into the storage compartment and unplug it. I can also easily switch it back on when those house batts need a charge). That way I give those house batts some good exercise. I usually keep those truck batteries out of the loop when camping and running down the road. They get good exercise on their own that way. You might have one of those large round switches like mine. If you do set it to connect both sets and then check each battery bank with a volt meter to make sure you don't have some other switch in there like I did.