View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
jbeech

Hi Don,

Yes, I am planning on using the truck for model events which nearly exactly match the profile for attending a race and parking in the infield sans hook ups.

Anyway, I saw this response last night and mulled it overnight (trying to make sense of it). Basically, since I have four type-31 batteries onboard, why do I need to make (convert to) 12VDC from 110VAC? Especially for low draw thingies like LED lighting? Wouldn't I just apply the load and just let the canned recharge autocycle proceed as needed? After all, the APU autostarts to recharge the bank of batteries when it detects low state of charge.

Regardless, if the need arrises, I already have a 80A 10VAC-to-12VDC converter, like this one: RV Inteli Power 9200 Series RV Converter Charger 80 Amp | eBay which I purchased off eBay a couple years ago for about $150-200 I think (mine is a PD9280). Anyway, this device is really for coach-use but I purchased it for my model workshop because it has enough capacity to let me charge several high capacity Lithium Polymer battery pack at the same time (for example, I'll charge four, 5Ah-50V batteries at a time, in about an hour).

So once again, with a bank of 4 rather large type-31 batteries onboard, why can't I always run 12V accessories off these and simply let the APU do its start up and charge the batteries thing if they deplete to the autostart charge cycle voltage?

I'm confused but all ears.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote