View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
bushpilot

Camera wise, our coach came with a system by ZONE Defense back up camera system...its good for 4 cameras and a separate video input.

Bit of a story but I had some wiring issues w/ the system right before we left for a trip and had to move the camera to an alternative location - in a pinch and quickly before we left for a trip.

I moved the camera from the conventional location (top rear/roof) down low to just above the hitch.

once we got back from that trip, i ordered a new cable and re-placed the cable for the roof mounted position HOWEVER....rather than move the camera from the bottom / rear location back to the roof i decided to ADD a 2nd rear facing camera at the original location.

NOW i can watch the hitch and the traffic (in greater detail), by switching back an forth between the two positions....YES its over kill, but its ALSO REDUNDANT - ive had cameras fog w/ moisture or just plain crap out - cameras are easy to replace and if in the middle of a trip one fails i can drive by the remain camera (ive had to do it).

im a bit SHOCKED at how expensive these systems are (even w/ one camera)....its a bit ridiculous when you consider how little a computer monitor can be purchased for these days...and the camera are NOT expensive (99 bucks or less).

that said - im not necessarily please w/ the zone defense system...during the day its fine, but at night the CONTRAST is horrible - the monitor is either TOO BRIGHT (washing out and lighting the cab too much) or its too dark (giving up significant amount of detail and compromising the distance that the camera sees or "reports").

the system works & i live w/ it but it could be better.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote