View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #43
Driveshaft Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I have a friend that is a commercial vehicle inspector in MN. If you are over 10k lbs. and operating in furtherance of a commercial venture, you must follow all the DOT regs. The 26k threshold is where you now need a class A license. Also a 10001 lbs or greater trailer would push you into a class A license. But remember, greater than 10k combined makes you subject to all the DOT regs. So, you could have a van all stickered up for a company and say the van has a manufacturers gross weight rating of 7400 lbs. You're fine with no DOT rules. Now, hitch up a trailer to it that has a rating of 3k lbs. Boom goes the dynamite. Even if there is nothing in the van or on the trailer. The whole thing might only weigh 6k lbs. across the scale. Doesn't matter. The sticker in the door jamb and the plate on the trailer will say what they are rated for and if the total is over 10k lbs, there you go. Don't let that 26k part confuse anything. Commercial is commercial.

understood, thanks for you help. i believe we will not be lettering this. for now i have the truck registered as a regular truck. im only about a mile from the DOT/DMV inspectors here in town so ill make sure there 100% with what im doing when they inspect it for the Title change.if not it can still be a truck under 26,000 lbs just not going to pull a trailer then.
Driveshaft Shop is offline   Reply With Quote