View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
hot rod

We stay at "Camp Wal-Mart" on the way to events as well, so I can understand that. I'm just finishing up my toter project, and I planned on a lot of things below floor level, like the generator slide out, and I was amazed how little room there was to work with underneath. And mine is a bigger chassis with more ground clearance (i.e. room to build boxes). There was no way to put the generator slide underneath on mine. By the time you allowed room for the structural tubing to build the boxes, the aluminum door trim intruding into the opening, and the clearance needed for the slide itself to roll out and clear the same stuff, there was not enough room left for a the height of my generator. It all looked good in theory until we sat down and mocked up the drawer etc. and there just wasn't room. On my truck there is 24" from the bottom of the floor/side rail to the bottom of the tool box structure, at a point where I was comfortable with ground clearance for the truck. Your truck appears to be lower than mine. Not trying to stick pins in your balloon, just saying that did not work out so good for me. Even finding place for a decent sized air tank for the compressor was a pain, than ended up underneath the passenger side step.

Here's some pics:
first shot, just the framing for the floor. looks like lots of room below.
second shot, tool boxes framed in with square tubing, less room
third shot, with sheet metal, looking even smaller
with doors installed, way less room than I had hoped, and not enough vertical space for a generator on a slide.

Good luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0258[1].jpg   IMG_0817[1].jpg   IMG_0818[1].jpg   IMG_0821[1].jpg  
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote