View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
hot rod

My 10k comment was geared towards all vehicles, not just rv's. So if your coach has a 20k gvw and you are using in "furtherance of a commercial venture" as Bob states above, you will need a usdot number and the whole 9. And you certainly can get a commercial and/or apportioned plate for an RV, as well as a usdot number. My cargo trailer is legitimately titled and licensed as a travel trailer (ohio-speak for a camping trailer) and I do have the usdot number on the truck towing it when I am using it for my business.

Now, all that said, if your rig has a big gaudy (no offense intended) black, tan and brown rv style paint job and looks just like any other snowbird rolling down the highway you're highly unlikely to ever get a second glance from any passing dot guy on the highway no matter what you have in back or in the storage bins. Skate your little heart out. But if it is a plain white renegade with a big 'ol stacker trailer, they are very suspicious of those rigs with good reason. Maybe we should call it profiling and get the aclu to file a class action case for us...
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote