View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
hot rod

"racing" on the logo is an old dodge that is not such a good idea anymore. the dot generally considers racing to be a commercial activity on 2 premises: 1. you are racing for a purse, meaning you are compensated for your activity, meaning you are commercial. 2. virtually every "hobby racer" out there declares a "racing business" on his taxes so you can balance those winnings against the expenses of racing and not pay taxes on the winnings. My dot officer told me they even consider transporting "show" cars to be commercial if you can receive any sort of prize or tow money. Arguing semantics of the the fine points of your definition of racing vs. commercial with the dot cop on the roadside isn't a discussion you will win.

They got me while towing a 14' empty enclosed motorcycle trailer with my dually and a small company logo in the window of the truck. I tried to argue that it was just an ad for my business just like any grandma with a minivan and a sewing shop, but it didn't get me anywhere. I ended up several months and some fines later with a usdot number, a cdl (my other trailer is bigger), a medical card, a trucking company and a file cabinet full of dot paperwork to keep me legal. Company name on the side = commercial. And if you are over 10000# gvw = usdot number. End of story. Like the song said, "I fought the man, and the man won"
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote