View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Nklpltd

Default Want to build my own- Need opinions

Hey guys...

I just posted an intro thread with a little about myself and my background.

Now here is where all the idea and questions come out.

First let me say I have a shop large enough and tools to do this build.

I currently live in Idaho where the max motor home length is 45'. I am wanting to build a toterhome with a class 8 chassis. I have not settled on a particular truck yet, I am just getting the thoughts out on paper. Rather than hauling a trailer, I want my rig to be able to carry a small SUV inside. I know this really cuts down on the interior usable space but that is ok with me. I do not plan on having any slide outs, and it will only be for my wife and I, and maybe a couple dogs so only the one bedroom.

I know most people plan on staying in RV parks and the like, but my rig will be strictly highway only, sleeping at rest stops, or large truck stops.

I have a crazy thought that I want to throw out and would like any opinions on it. With it just being a large motorhome and never pulling a trailer over 16'(rarely), I figure a single rear axle would probably be ok. If you think I should keep the doubles, please give me your reasons why. Now comes the crazy part. In Iraq we had large trucks called a PLS that was used to haul cargo anywhere and everywhere. This truck had 5 axles and the first two would turn, and also the furthest rear axle would turn, greatly increasing the turning of this giant beast. It has a step sister that was basically the same called the HEMTT, that only had the 4 axles. It did not have the extra rear turn axle and it was amazing the difference in turning between these two trucks.

So this is my thought. With a 45' rig, that is going to be a LOOOOOONG wheelbase and a bit of a pig to turn around, or turn period. Would it be possible to add a second rear axle (non powered), in the rear rear position that would turn opposite of the front axle to increase the turning capability of the rig? I was thinking basically adding a typical front axle, and have the steering powered by a hydraulic ram. Or the other thought was... At least in Utah most cement mixers are a single seat, front chute rig, with a back axle that pulls up and is only used when it's fully loaded. This back axle also steers like I am talking about, so use that and mount it being the drive axle.

I would love any thoughts, comments to this idea.

Next thought... how do I calculate what is the best placement for the rear axle? I know on a typical trailer it's about 60/40 F/R. Honestly I would love to be able to have the entire garage portion behind the rear most axle if possible so I can drop the frame down and put storage or overhang the bedroom over the front of the car. The car I plan to take would only weigh about 3500 lbs.

This is mostly for a project that I can work on when I can, and I know it will take a long time, but I am ok with this. It will make a great project for my wife and I to work on together.

Thanks
Nklpltd is offline   Reply With Quote