Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #229
Kenn

Default the bunk

Michael and Dave thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. After welding the bunk on I was disappointed with the outcome. I spot welded everything and clamped it in as many directions as I could and it still ended up with the front of the bunk lower. Today I tried to understand what happened. I think that I welded to long on the passenger side upper gusset without it cooling enough. The drivers side is not as bad because I made smaller welds. I came up with a way to fix it I think. The first studs on the main box are bowed from the weight and lever arm of the bunk. I will cut the diagonal braces for the bunk and then us my Harbor Freight porta-power and push them back to straight and brace them so they will stay. I will re-weld the diagonals and everything should be good. The first picture shows how I held the base of the bunk against the front studs of the box while I lifted it into position. Picture two shows the pipe clamps holding the top of the bunk to the box. Next is a screw jack used to keep the front of the bunk at the right height and last is some of the make shift scaffolding I used to tig weld up high. The back of my head was hitting the shop lights at about 11' off the floor.
Michael I will at a minimum put all of the FRP on in the shop and I might put the windows in depending on the weight. I am not sure how much my friends excavator can lift. After we get it on the truck I will do a lot more welding and get it weather tight before I start with all the mechanical systems.
Dave I look forward to seeing you and showing off all my hard work. I will be ordering the FRP in the next day or so. I think two weeks is how long it takes to make the sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000219.jpg   IM000227a.jpg   IM000233.jpg   IM000237.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote