View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
bushpilot

Dave -

Pioneer is killing the P-Bus & moving to a non-propitary connection.
P-Bus based units (identified by the "DEH-P mod#") are getting short in supply.

Newer units (identified by DEH-Xmod#) are using a different XM/SIRIUS tuner.
the AVH-P8400BH is one of the few remaining (dvd type) left w/ a p-bus.

the AVH-P8400BH has integrated bluetooth & HD tuner (XM/SIRIUS tuner is still via external GEX-P920XM tuner)

everything is moving to the X platform which will use the CD-SB10 (external) tuner

In my f350 i have a high end DEH-P980BT the p980bt has pink noise generator, 16band eq, positioning programing, etc and im trying to preserve that investment.

my f350 set up is very high end (3 JL Audio slash series amps w/ 3 par of 2 way separates (12 speakers) plus a 12 inch subwoofer)...i am not the type that rolls up to a light and has buzzing body/door/truck panels...ive sound proofed the entire interior / body panels).

the f350 system is 13-15 years old, the coach/dash and jeep systems are new, brand new (if you call last years models "new").

i just picked up a close out unit DEH-P9400BH for 130 bucks (it has bluetooth & HD internal tuner)...i put the P9400BH in the coach dash....im thinking of buying another for the coach outside/basement entertainment system.

the new systems identified by the X (ie DEH-X????) use a new/different (CD-SB10) tuner (identified above)...the CD-SB10 is universal and can be used on other mfg & oem radios (alpine has their own equiv to the CD-SB10).

the GEX-P920XM tuner) only had 3 plugs, 1 for power (12v & ground), 1 for the P-Bus (digital audio interface to the head unit) and 1 for the sat antenna....so NO even the older external xm tuners dont use 2 wire antenna connections.

newer DEH-"X" head units will not be compatible w/ DEH-"P" (p-bus) add-ons.

P bus (identified by the P in the model number) is being phased out <consider it dead, if you want a P-bus unit, buy it NOW, theyre getting hard to find, and you may even have to buy a display unit to get P-BUS, unless you buy the AVH-P8400BH>.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote