View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #112
hot rod

You'd be surprised how little bracing there is in a factory trailer roof for the a/c unit. My top of the line Pace trailer was "wired and braced for a/c" at the factory, and all it had was the standard 1 x 1.5" light duty rectangular tubing they use in the roof bows anyway, with a couple of short pieces of the same rectangular tubing to make a 14x14 square (same size as a roof vent) and stuck some wood in to fill the gap between the roof sheet metal and the interior ceiling. I was mighty suspicious of that when I installed my rood a/c in that hole, but it has been on there for 2 seasons and a ton of miles so far with no ill effect. So I wuoldn't worry too much about the bracing in the roof, that is the easy part. Worst thing on the roof a/c is the $900 cost (heat pump) of the unit.

If you go that route, spend an few extra bucks and spring for the Carrier heat pump instead of the standard a/c with heat strip. That unt is 15,000 btu instead of the standard 13,500 btu, but the best thing is that being a heat pump it will also deliver the full 15,000 btu as heat just as well as a/c. The heat strip they advertise in a standard a/c does about nothing, and you said you generally have power to plug into so you kill 2 birds with one stone.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote