View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
AKat777

As an owner of the truck you are talking about (my box is slightly larger) I have a couple thoughts.

First, while you do start out 'ahead' by having the insulation already in the walls, you are forgetting something important.. electrical wiring. Unless you are planning on running without it in the box. If you have to start tearing into the walls and ceiling to run wires, might as well just start over. As Dodger stated, residential rigid pink is much lighter and cheaper than the material used in reefers.

As for going off road with a IH4700, I dont recommend it. You might think you have a great deal of ground clearance because the box is so high off the ground. But get under the truck and see how close the rear end is to the ground. Less than 14" off the ground. And you may have a much newer truck than mine (96) but if you dont, the turning radius is horrible. I can turn around a tank in less space.

All that said, the truck is good for what I wanted it for. Tool storage and living space. It isnt fancy, in fact it's downright industrial in look and function, but it works for me.
The show I travel with now moves every week, which isnt ideal for a truck this size (you cant exactly just run to the local Wally World in it) but I am thinking about my next project. A cargo trailer converted to living space. That way I can go shopping in the 1 ton I use to pull the trailer anytime I need to.
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote