View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
hot rod

When I was considering buying a box truck body for my cab chassis as opposed to building, I went to a local truck dealer that had a large supply of used bodies on hand and nosed around in a bunch of them. Both standard and reefer boxes. To me, the reefer boxes all looked very heavy compared to a standard box. I did not personally care for the aluminum floor, it is not flat and the channels are designed more to catch melt off from the cargo and channel it out of the truck, I think you'd end up having to cover that with some sort of wood flooring anyway to make a nice level surface for finish flooring like carpet or linoleum. As to wall insulation, you'd probably be lighter with residential type foam or fiberglass but you would spend time and money to get that done. I was also looking at adding an attic/bunk or buying a body with the attic already in it, and I came to the conclusion after looking at some other conversions that had homebuilt an an attic there was no way to really make that look factory and not just rigged on. So I was leaning towards a furniture body with the attic already in place, but those were hard to find as well.

As to your dirt bikes, some of those reefer bodies I looked at must have been designed as local delivery trucks where they run boxes in and out with a dolly. They had a single 4' swing door on the back, with a long pull out aluminum ramp like you'd find on a uhaul truck. I would think that would be perfect for you, nothing to build, and you could easily run a dirt bike up a 3' wide ramp through the center door, then just slide to either side to tie down.

I ended up giving up on the truck body, and am building instead.

good luck!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote