Thread: 30/50 Amp Wire
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
AKat777

The panel is designed for 220, yes. But I dont need the insanely silly 20 slots the panel has. I went with the house type instead of RV type because 1) I dont have any DC needs 2) I needed more than the 3 slots most RV types offered 3) the 20 slot, 100 amp panel was 1/4 of the price of the cheapest RV panel. I paid 39.00 for the panel. I have 5 wires running to the panel atm, and 2 of those are not even used. One was for the future Insolet toilet, and the other was when I still had pipe dreams of using an electric on demand type water heater.

I thought about losing the overcurrent protection, which is why I was leaning towards the 30 amp single pole. But I have not done that before, so I was a little cautious about it.

I dont imagine I will run into too many 50 amp services with this show. I could be wrong. I think I will be using 2 20amp cords to run everything as much as the built-in panel and 30 amp wire. Many places the show is going just wont be set up for 50 amp, another reason I went with the 30 amp wire. (OK, that and I am cheap and just dont *need* 12,000 watts. I dont have an A/C unit.

Edit: So I just had a crazy thought. Dont think I would try it, but in theory it would work. 2 20 amp wires backfed into the panel, one on each bus if I never needed more slots (cant possibly imagine needing more than 10 slots, ever. more power, maybe, more slots, highly doubt it). Obviously, the incoming 20 amp wires would have to be on different circuts, or you would still only get the max output of the circut you plugged into.
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote