View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #287
Highway OPie

Default Nice job!

Hello Ran:

I have enjoyed reading all the past posts your original message generated.

Your most recent post about the "would I do it again" items really brought home a fortunate situation regarding my conversion project currently its its third year of work.

When I originally purchase my Peterbilt, and quickly completed all the "major items" (dropping the front axle, extending the frame, installing the frame-mount storage boxes, installing the 16' Morgan box), I then started on the modifications to both the cab sleeper and the camper box. I had originally thought it would take me a year or so to complete these items, and then I would be "all done."

Instead, it has taken me an additional two years of work, and I figure I have at least another two years of work ahead of me. Although this sounds like a long time, it has provided me (and my wife) an unexpected advantage:

"Try it out as you build it to make sure the way you have designed it is really the way you want it!"

We have been camping in our conversion project for the past two summers. Using the camper as we have been building it has resulted in numerous changes to the design and building from the way we had originally planned it. This has been a great benefit to us, as when we get done, it will really have been "camper tested" and I doubt there will be any residual "I wish we had done it this way, instead."

So, thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. They too have been of great benefit to us.

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0322.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote