Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #195
bushpilot

i just had a shurflo pump fail....ive pulled it apart & am awaiting parts (valve body)...

I see that Kenn is running a strainer but i'll reiterate anyway - make CERTAIN youre running a $8 STRAINER or youll shorten the life of the pump/valve diaphragm too.

our pump is under the bed too...close to the tanks (twin 60 gallon-ers)...ive held the pump when its running....theres little or no heat in it (and its SEALED, w/ out any vents in the casing)...even running the pump (in my hand) w/ no water flow thru the pump did NOT generate enough heat in the motor/casing to speak of.

from what ive witnessed - theres little if any cooling effect from the flowing water to the spinning motor case...id call it ZERO but ill be conservative and anticipate that the water flowing thru the aluminum diaphragm case MIGHT transfer some cooling to the case of the electric motor...its negligible at best.

these pumps also have built in thermal protection & overload circuits (which i also witnessed)

for those that arent aware (i wasn't), these pumps dont SPIN water thru (like the typical impeller pumps im used to)...they push/pull it thru via diaphragms...which is why they dont have much lift.

fwiw, if you care - in my case the diaphragm was leaking slightly & moisture got to the bearing & eventually took out the bearing. If your pump is periodically running (even w/ the faucets off) & you cant find a leak....suspect the diaphragm...they dont last forever !

as they say....its always somethin' !

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote