View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
coal

I agree on buying used, the market has some good deals. I do work for the guys that haul the cars in and around the Toronto area, most of the guys with the 53 foot wedge trailers have been forced into the larger trucks now, usually a 550 series and up. The ministry is frowning on using a 350 series dually, as usually the rear axle is overloaded.
The duallys don't stand up anyhow, transmissions, front end and brakes are what give out all the time.

I don't know how anyone is making any money with the cost of fuel, most are over 50 % of thier gross gone too fuel.

If your going with a MDT, stay away from the 5.9 cummins or powerstrokes, they don't fare too well, better to get into a larger engine. Again, a singled highway truck starts to make sense, especially considering parts costs. Cheaper on a large truck versus a medium duty.

I have a Cat C7, and would not recommend it either, can't inframe it. Mine runs well, but thier B50 is only 500k miles, at that point they are generally wore out.

Second on the air hitch, pricey but well worth it. If your going with a HDT, it will be mandatory along with air ride on the truck suspension. MDT, I would find one with the air ride suspension already installed as locating the parts can be tricky and expensive.

Alot guys with the custom HDT put the hitch behind the axle when the truck is singled so that the front end is unloaded. Otherwise about 1000 pounds of ballast weight needs to be added behind the rear axle to unload some weight from the steer axle. Each truck situation is unique.

I built a couple of trucks for guys up your way, Bill at the KOA in the Soo and a feller in Elliot Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
bills 2.JPG   photo(16).jpg  
coal is offline   Reply With Quote