View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350 Explorer View Post
I sold my class 8 tractor and started delivering new RV trailers with my F-350 pickup. But this pickup, as well as past other brands, is not proving reliable under the mileages I am putting on it. So I am looking at building a new medium duty truck.
From what you said the focus of the truck will pulling RV trailers for delivery. Pulling a 5th wheel in one direction and returning empty in the other direction.

I see those types of things all the time on I roads in the area; they are always pulling something north and west bound out of Chicago and Milwaukee. Suggestions:

If you're buying new, consider going with a compressed natural gas (CNG) engine. I was at a CNG a few weeks ago in Sheboygan (WI) partially sponsored by Kwik-Trip the La Crosse (WI) based convenience store/truck stop operator. KT is making a HUGE committment to CNG. They had two CNG semi tractors for us to look at. I think both had Cummins CNG engines. The larger used CNG and diesel, the smaller (which would be great for a MDT like you need to pull the 5th wheel RVs) was exclusively CNG. You wouldn't believe how quiet the CNG engine was.

Kwik Trip Advocates Natural Gas Adoption - Truckinginfo.com

I don't know about the current availability of CNG on the routes your run, but the savings is significant. CNG appears to run 50% to 60% the cost of diesel. KT said they think they will never buy another diesel truck for their operations; CNG or LNG going forward.

Build your truck so you can haul something on the back hauls and make a little money. Is a car carrier or deck for pallets or tow truck stinger for cars and trucks a possibility?

I normally see 1 ton duallies pulling the 5th wheel RVs for delivery, but is that the best thing out there? is there something better? Making the right truck/engine combo selection will have a dramatic impact on how much money you make.

Let us know what you find out!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote