Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #186
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
I tried to pop one with a hand riveter and could not get it to move at all, strong rivets. We did about eight rivets and then the tool would not grip the rivets. My brother took the tool apart and found that I cracked a steel cone shaped part. I put it in the vice and tig welded it and we did another six before it cracked again. I welded it for the second time thinking we would be making a trip to get a new tool. We tried again and this time I lowered the air pressure to about 80 psi. The tool said 90 psi max and I have my air set at 110 psi. We keep adding pressure 5 psi at a time and found that the rivets need about 95 psi so we were able to do over 100 rivets by shutting off the compressor at 97 psi. I like the way the rivets end up with a strong steel pin locked in place. I then switched to aluminum rivets to hold the LPG access door on.
Nice work. What kind of a hand riveter did you use? Handles as long as a Channel-Lock? I used some big rivets recently and borrower one that had handles about 2 feet long and that really worked slick. Never used an air riveter. I wanted to borrower one, but they guy who loaned me the big one said don't use the air on big rivets. Use a BIG manual riveter for the big ones. Worked fine.

Did you consider using aircraft bucked rivets? Probably more work.

Only three lights in back?

Nice train horns. Is it common to mount them pointing down like that? I suppose you don't have any room above the cab with the attic.

I suppose the way the train horns work there is only ONE volume ... LOUD! Or can you control the level of sound?
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote