Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #183
Kenn

Default Moor body work

Last week my brother was in town for a few days so I had him help me install the rear body panel. We used a new rivet from Huck that is called a Huck Magna-bulb. These rives are 3/16" and are very strong in sheer. I borowed a huck tool from a friend and found out that I needed a $400. tip to make it pull the rivets. The salesman from (Dean Lewis fasterners in Vancover Wa) said if I had a strong air riveter that I could save the $400. He sent me a few samples and I was able to pop the rivets with my cheap air riveter from Harbor freight. I tried to pop one with a hand riveter and could not get it to move at all, strong rivets. We did about eight rivets and then the tool would not grip the rivets. My brother took the tool apart and found that I cracked a steel cone shaped part. I put it in the vice and tig welded it and we did another six before it cracked again. I welded it for the second time thinking we would be making a trip to get a new tool. We tried again and this time I lowered the air pressure to about 80 psi. The tool said 90 psi max and I have my air set at 110 psi. We keep adding pressure 5 psi at a time and found that the rivets need about 95 psi so we were able to do over 100 rivets by shutting off the compressor at 97 psi. I like the way the rivets end up with a strong steel pin locked in place. I then switched to aluminum rivets to hold the LPG access door on.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000010.jpg   IM000014.jpg   IM000013.jpg   IM000015.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote