View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Birdswine

Default CMV to RV in Indiana

I took a 88 Pete and a 27' pull type camper and put them together and made my RV. It's a long story, it took about 18 months and its not finished yet, but it is titled and licensed as a RV Motorhome. I was told in the beginning by the Ind BMV to keep all my receipts for the project and I did but was never asked for any receipts in the end. My local BMV told me that I could not do what I was trying to do, but I made a call to Indianapolis to the state BMV office and they told me what to do. First was to fill out Ind form 39771-Body Type Change Affidavit. A county police officer had to fill out part of that form. Take that form to the BMV and they will give you the next group of forms to fill out, Form 12907- Application for Special ID Number, Form 39530- Physical Inspection of Vehicle, Form 37964- Affidavit explaining what I had done overall and why I had done it, the county police had to also fill out a section on these forms. I also had to have a picture of the side profile of the RV and a picture of the inside. I had to send the titles of both the camper and the truck and a check for $11.50 to Central Office Title Processing in Indianapolis. It took about 2weeks and I received my new VIN, I had to make VIN plates with the new ID number and attach to the vehicle and then have a county police officer verify that I had done it and he filled out form 10815 Permission for New VIN Granted. I took that form to the BMV and titled and licensed it as a Private Assembled 2012 RV Motorhome per the State of Indiana Guidelines. I was really happy that I had finally accomplished it, and then they said the excise tax was $879.00!! That was the same amount it saved me having just liability insurance on the truck compared to having full coverage insurance on the RV. So it all worked out and I just wanted to share this info and hope its use full to someone else. This is the first time I have ever posted anything on a website like this so I hope I'm done it rite. I apologize in advance if I'm not.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Birdswine is offline   Reply With Quote