View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Dragonslayer140

General rule of thumb in a vehicle is to keep the weight as low as possible, 95 gallons of water at 8.4 pounds per gallon is 798 pounds plus the weight of the tank and supporting structure. Granted in a truck this is not a huge amount of weight, but far more that I would want mounted that high above the axles, and it is enough to have some affect on the overturning ratio of the vehicle. Water in a tank is considered a dynamic load rather than a static or dead load, once the tank becomes less than full you have the water weight moving side to side and that will shift the center of gravity to the out side of a corner. probably would not feel it too much in everyday driving, but could be a factor in an avoidance situation contributing to a roll over.

Assuming the tank is mounted at 7' giving an average of 8' to the top of the water, the static pressure at floor level will be 8 feet *0.43 psi per foot or around 3.4 psi. will be less at faucet height. While this will allow water to flow from the faucet it will not be much, filling a toilet, taking a shower and such would not be satisfactory. Standard house pressures are 30-60 psi. Sure flow RV water pumps have a shut off pressure of 45psi. and a running pressure around 30 depending on fixture being used and pipe size. With RV plumbing and fixtures having a smaller size, you will get around 3 gallons per minute with one of these pumps.

For my two cents I would mount the tank at floor level, with Sure-Flow on demand water pump.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote