View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
hot rod

Worthington Cylinders in Worthington, OH also makes ASME propane tanks for RV/motor fuel use.

Your generator should be set up for vapor propane (like in the RV) as opposed to liquid withdrawal (for the vehicle motor fuel), and MOST motor fuel tanks will have an outlet for both, but the opening for vapor may be plugged and you may have to have the appropriate propane valve installed. A tank designed just for RV use would only have a vapor valve. Pay attention to the mounting brackets built in or required for the tank you are buying. Some tanks are set up for floor mount, some for side frame mounting, and some use a special clamp type bracket that allows some flexibility in mounting. For example if you want to mount on the side of the frame, the floor type tank would take a bunch of work to fab an appropriate bracket to do that, and vice versa.

I would try your local propane distributors, they may have something used in the size range you are looking for.

Also, I am running an old Schwan's truck still on propane, and the guy I bought it from converts a bunch of the trucks back to gasoline before he sells them and had a large supply of tanks for cheap. They were various sizes from 60 to 120 gallons (water cap.) and all designed to mount on the side of the frame on a medium duty truck. Mine came with the 120 gallon and I bought an extra 60 gallon to add to the other side for more capacity. Here is his contact information:
Leo's Tractors - Contact Us

They also convert and sell those Schwan's chassis' in various other states, see if you can locate somebody else selling the trucks, they will have extra tanks as well. Both my tanks have a plugged vapor outlet and are set up for remote fill (tank hidden and the filler is on a hose you can mount for easy access). Only thing is all these tanks have a built in fuel pump for the electronic fuel injection, which would have to stay as it is bolted into the end of the tank, but you could just properly plug the hose and it would not be any less safe than if the hose was still hooked to the engine.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote