View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
jbeech

With a handle like bushpilot I figured you'd appreciate the Bonanza. We use her principally for travel to model events. FWIW, my A&P/IA swapped out the existing equipment platform (aft of the rear bulkhead) for a larger one because now, in addition to securing the beacon, it also permits securing as many as four model helicopters. Best of all, they're completely out of our way (models are large and bulky but not very heavy - 32 pounds, give or take, with all four held down by plates, which fasten through the landing skids via Dzus quarter turn fasteners). This leaves the entire cabin available for the usual crap we also carry, e.g. a 10x10 pup up tent, a couple of folding chairs, a cooler, and a couple of small suitcases (the back seat lives on a shelf in the hangar).

The problems with using the Bonanza for travel is neither of us is instrument rated, which means traveling long distances on a schedule can be difficult due to crossing weather fronts. When there's no schedule it's no problem because we simply deviate to somewhere else or set down and let it cross us. Anyway, as a consequence of being VFR pilots only I have missed several model helicopter events this year, which I would have liked to attend.

Anyway, this is why we bought the truck to convert to a motorhome (to augment our capabilities of attending events). Since nothing I saw really suited my ideas of what I wanted, it became time to roll my own. FWIW, your pal's airplane with a good autopilot (ours is a single-axis), stormscope/radar in the nose (we use satellite XM-downlink weather, which is better in some respects and inferior in others), and being a twin would be the cat's meow as a traveling machine. In part this is because I'm rather uncomfortable with night flying a single because I cannot see where to safely put down in the eventuality of engine trouble if we are too far from an airport. Perhaps if we get our instrument ratings (Lynn's a pilot as well) we'd upgrade to a twin because absent the engine out concern I very much like night flying. Moreover, flying at night would let us depart later on Friday instead of leaving during the day and would be more economical of our time because it wouldn't take us away from the office for as long a period.

Back to generators, I've learned a 20KW isn't going to happen.

1. What's the real-world diesel burn of your 10KW Onan?
2. Do you know the real-world propane use of your converted tri-fuel genset/welder?

The genset I presently have, a Honda ES6500, weighs a little over 300 pounds wet and offers 50A, which should readily service the coach's needs without breaking a sweat. Moreover, a $300 propane conversion is available, which makes good sense if for nothing else because it obviates the need to refuel with gasoline as frequently. Especially if I equip the coach with propane for the versatility of using an RV type refrigerator as well as for cooking (though quite frankly I am ambivalent about sacrificing space for cooking because we would usually rather eat out). I basically want enough propane onboard to run the genset all week and your info on your propane genset should at least put me in the ballpark vice my 6.5KW unit.

3. Does anybody know if RV refrigerators are more efficient running on propane vs. electricity?
4. What's the typical consumption (in pounds I presume) for these units operating on propane?

Rather than leave the genset running all day it seems to be smarter to let the coach get hot during the time of day I am flying my models and hanging out with friends under the pop up tent out on the flightline while leaving the fridge to keep things cold running on propane. Naturally, I could be worng about how the truck is used (since I've never owned one) in which case the genset would run a lot because we'd keep it cold during the day as well. So many questions!

Many thanks.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote